Monday, May 10, 2010

Day after Mother's Day and I'm still eating...

I trust you had a wonderful Mother's Day. If you're not a mother I hope you had someone special to wish a Happy Mother's day to! I talked with my mom (86) who said she said a little prayer to her mother in the morning. Isn't it amazing how much a mother's love transcends all else? My mom said it in a very matter-of-fact explanation but I could hear her voice break, her emotions seep out. I felt so close to her at that moment. I have been blessed to have had wonderful women in my family, as friends and co-workers and they have helped shape me and given me encouragement when I've needed it most.
This little tag came with my flowers yesterday.
It was a warm and fabulous day to get out in the yard and I saw my bachelor buttons were in bloom and who could pass by that purple explosion!

I enjoyed steak, salad and baked potato yesterday and today I was craving Chinese, so it was stir fry to the rescue. A simple dish with pork tenderloin, baby bok choy, baby portabello mushroom I had on hand, served over steamed noodles and rice.

Pork Stir Fry (no recipe, so approx measurements)
1 pork tenderloin sliced down the centre and cut in 1 inch chunks
1 inch chunk fresh ginger rough chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 onion chopped
2 baby bok choy sliced in 1/2
2 c chopped baby portabello mushrooms (any mushroom will do fine)
1 red pepper in large chunks
dash sesame oil, several dashes soya sauce
In med high frying pan or wok heat 2 tbsp oil and add onion, ginger and garlic until onion begins to carmelize about 4 minutes, stirring. Add pork chunks and cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Put aside. Add another 2 tbsp oil to wok and add mushrooms, stirring for about 2 minutes, add bok choy and red peppers stirring often. Add pork and spices. Whisk about 2T cornstarch, sesame oil and soya with 1/3 c chicken stock and add to wok. Let it thicken and add more stock if necessary. It should cover veg and meat with a thinnish glaze.
I steam about 2 c steamed noodles and about 3/4 c cooked Basmati rice each and ladle pork mix over. Add another dash of soya and hot sauce if you like. Quick, Fresh and Flavorful!
Of course in Chinatown there would be a large dish of fresh oranges and a fortune cookie but I had made Rhubarb Streusel Muffins so we had those instead.
Rhubarb Streusel Muffins



1/2 c plain yogurt
1/4 c veg oil
1 egg
1 1/3 c flour
1 c diced fresh rhubarb
2/3 c dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
Blend yogurt, oil and egg and set aside. Stir rest of ingredients together and add yogurt mix, combine until moistened. Fill 12 greased muffin tins 2/3 full.
Topping
1/4 c brown sugar, 1/4 c chopped toasted pecans, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp melted butter all stirred together. Spoon onto each muffin and bake 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Test for doneness.
Ode to Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment