Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cinco de Mayo

I Twittered earlier about eating an entire bag of tortilla chips from Fresh Is Best and honestly I could barely manage dinner tonight. I had all good intentions of preparing a Mexican inspired feast, but my heart just wasn't in it. I could imagine myself sitting on the beach in Puerto Vallarta at sunset, sipping on my second Margarita with no problem. In fact, I had my white gauze shirt and short shorts on, a cute straw hat and big smoky sunglasses and my skinned was bronzed from a day at the pool. Oh yes, this part is easy.
So what can be done to get through the day without celebrating the 5? How about a trip down memory lane? I was being all nostalgic thinking of how our family centered every occasion around food. I never ever wanted to miss a meal at home, even as a teenager. My mom was a remarkable cook, still is actually. I remember the macaroni with bran muffins, the vinegar marinated beef made into stew with heaps of mashed potatoes on the side, the rich tomato gravy smothering the Swiss steak loaded with peppers and onions , walnut butter horns, molasses brown bread, butter tarts and apple pies. Seriously, every single meal was home made, from scratch, no shortcuts. Who in their right mind would miss a meal? Exactly. Even the days, maybe weeks, I hardly communicated with my parents more than a grunt, I was home for dinner.
One of the recipes was not so homemade, but I do remember it well and always called it Mom's Casserole. In a way it was a relief to have this dinner and take her off the pedestal for just a brief moment. Silly to think of that just now.


Mom's Common Casserole
1 tin cream of mushroom soup
1 tin cream of chicken soup
1 c sour cream
1 c drained corn or frozen niblets
1/2 tsp pepper and paprika
3 c cooked med wide egg noodles
2 lb hamburger
1 c chopped onion
1 c buttered breadcrumbs
Fry and drain the hamburger and onion
Mix the 4 ingredients together and add pepper and paprika
Add hamburger, sauce and noodles, mix well and put in buttered casserole. Top with buttered breadcrumbs.
Bake at 350 degrees for approx 30 minutes



Since I'm on the oldies but goodies kick, whenever I make bran muffins I always go back to my tried and true recipe from Roger's Foods, simple and perfectly bran.

Classic Bran Muffins
1 1/2 c Rogers Wheat Bran
1 c buttermilk
1/3 c veg oil
1 egg
2/3 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c Rogers all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda and baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c raisins or dates, optional
375 degree oven, greased muffin tin, makes 1 dozen. Cook 15-20 minutes
Mix together bran and buttermilk and let sit. Combine oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and add to bran mixture. Combine flour, b soda, b powder, and salt and stir well. Add this to the first mixture and stir until just blended.

So the '5' is almost over, it's early evening. I wish you all a colorful, musical fiesta evening!


Here's lookin' at you!

No comments:

Post a Comment